You are here

Palaeontological Museum Munich

Bavarian State Collection of Palaeontology and Geology

München, Urban municipality / Oberbayern

Lichthof mit dem rund 10 Millionen Jahre alten Mühldorfer Urelefanten
Lichthof mit dem rund 10 Millionen Jahre alten Mühldorfer Urelefanten

Aufgrund der Corona-Pandemie und als Liegenschaft der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität bleibt das Museum bis auf Weiteres geschlossen

The public exhibition of the Bavarian State Collection of Palaeontology and Geology originated in the collections of the Bayerische Akademie der Wissenschaften (Bavarian Academy of Sciences, from 1759), the Mannheim Naturalienkabinet (Natural History Cabinet, 1802) and the University of Munich (1827). The collection was housed in the Old Academy on Neuhauser Straße since 1783 and was opened to the public in special exhibition rooms as early as 1866. The objects that had not been evacuated, including all the mounted skeletons, were destroyed during the air raids in 1944. The collections were reunited in their current domicile in 1950 - the former "Kunstgewerbeschule" (School of Arts and Crafts) built in 1902 in the style of the "German Renaissance".
A permanent exhibition about the development of vertebrates shows numerous dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals (including the Mühldorf prehistoric elephant, the largest and smallest Bavarian dinosaurs, ceratopia, archaeopteryx, fauna and flora of the Solnhofen plate as well as animals of the Tertiary period. The museum also organises special exhibitions.
Sie müssen den Service "Google Maps" erst akzeptieren, bevor Sie unsere Karte ansehen können. Klicken Sie hier, um "Google Maps" zu akzeptieren.

Paläontologisches Museum München

Bayerische Staatssammlung für Paläontologie und Geologie

Richard-Wagner-Straße 10
80333 München
Tel. 089/21806630
Fax 089/21806601
E-mail bspg@snsb.de
Website http://www.palmuc.de/bspg

Opening hours

Mo.-Do. 8.00-16.00, Fr. 8.00-14.00, 1. So. im Monat 10.00-16.00